- This is What My NutBall Can Do!
- Buying Parts for the FliteTest NutBall Swappable - All at Once
- Building the Flite Test NutBall Swappable
- Getting into Scratch Building - 20+ Planes with ONE Motor & ONE Power Pod!
I have a friend who wants to know which parts to purchase for the FliteTest Nutball (http://flitetest.com/articles/nutball_scratch_build), as his very first plane. He owns absolutely no RC vehicles or components whatsoever, so this truly is his "beginner plane setup." Several months ago I started helping him build it. However, due to budget constraints, he has never gone through with the build to finish it up. So, I am going to split up the electronics/extra components he needs into several low-cost (~$30 each) "stages" in order to see if he can do it this way---a little at a time. Let's see how this goes....
This is the $35 (-ish) Stage #1 (of approximately 4 total): I'll try to put the parts roughly into a recommended purchase order, according to what is needed first to complete the plane.
What he already has:
- two $1 sheets of 20"x30" foamboard from the Dollar Tree.
- 1/8" plywood sheet (maybe 8"x10") from the Hobby Lobby balsa sheet rack in the back of the store ($1.79 last I checked I believe)
- $1 roll of cheapo clear packing tape from the Dollar Tree
- $1~$2 pack of 100 shish-ka-bob (bamboo) skewers from Walmart (in the BBQ section of the Garden Center) or wherever
- Jumbo popsickle (craft) sticks at Walmart - pack of like 100 for a couple bucks - to be used to make the 2 control horns
Ok: Stage #1 - buy this week
- "Music Wire" (0.047 in. [1.19 mm] diam. From local hobbyshop) (sizes as small as 0.032 in. [0.81 mm] also work, but the 0.047 in. is better). Cost: $2.29 for a pack of 4 long (36" maybe) rods. - will be used for the two control rods.
- Scotch Strapping tape (has fiberglass strands running down it) from Walmart or wherever, ~$3
- HobbyKing order:
- motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=12916&aff=281904, $8
- HXT900 9g servos x 3 (1 for a spare), $2.70 each: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=662&aff=281904
- XT60 connectors x 1 pack, ~$3.50, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9572&aff=281904
- Shipping: ~$6
- TOTAL PRICE WITH SHIPPING: ~$26.
- Stage 1 total: ~$31.50